Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Handbook of Texas Online
A multidisciplinary encyclopedia of Texas history, geography, and culture. It comprises articles on people, places, events, historical themes, institutions, and a host of other topic categories.
Texas Reference Center
Texas Reference Center, provides full text for general periodicals covering a broad range of disciplines including general reference, business, education, health, general science, multi-cultural issues and much more. This database features: full text Magill Book Reviews, full text reference books including the World Almanac & Book of Facts; biographies, primary source documents, American Heritage Dictionary, 4th Edition and an Image Collection of photos, maps and flags. Texas Reference Center offers PDF backfiles as far back as 1975 for key publications including American Libraries, Foreign Affairs, History Today, Judaism, Library Journal and National Review.
Researching Texas History
When searching, think about your topic and change your search terms. Don't just search for Texas, you will find materials that are broadly about the state, from all time periods.
- What search terms are relevant to your research?
- Use your class readings to help you find more specific terms, or look at a reference work (like an encyclopedia or handbook) for background information and context.
- Choose a geographical area/city to research (e.g. Houston, Austin, panhandle etc.)
- Choose a specific time period (Civil War era, etc.)
- Chose a specific person or event.