Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Using Simmons Insights to Calculate BDI and CDI
- If the category and/or brand you are interested in is represented in Simmons Insights, that is the easiest way to get BDI and CDI numbers.
- For BDI, search for your brand and then look in the "Brand Consumer" folder.
- For category, look for the variable that asks if the household consumes it. For example, for ice cream, the variable you need is "ice cream & sherbert - HH eats?" and it is in the folder for frozen snacks/desserts. You may need to dig through folders if using the search box doesn't work.
BDI and CDI Defined
Brand Development Index (BDI)
- Measures how well a brand performs within a specific group of consumers compared to the market as a whole
- For example, you might track how well Ben and Jerry's ice cream sells in Vermont as compared to the United States as a whole.
- It might be calculated for multiple markets, to figure out where advertising dollars might be spent.
Category Development Index (CDI)
- Measures how well a category of products performs within a specific group of consumers compared to the market as a whole
- For example, you might track how well ice cream sells to people 18-34 as compared to the United States as a whole.