Granting institutions can be federal, private foundations, microgrants, or even a crowdsourcing fund, such as Kickstarter or GoFundMe. Applicants should be familiar with the following aspects of grants and their funding organizations.
- Types of applications: Will the organization fund individuals or other non-profit organizations, or both?
- Annual amount: Is the grant large enough to cover what you need, or do you need to find more than one funding source?
- Geographic area: Which regions are the grants limited to?
- Areas of funding: Does the institution fund your area of research?
- Are there gaps in the information you can't find about the institution? How can you find this information out?