Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Creating Quick Bibliographies
It's easy to create a bibliography from your Zotero library. This method works with any word processor (or anywhere you can paste text).
- Select the references or collections you want to include: hold the control key and click to select multiple items.
- Right-click one of the selected items and choose Create Bibliography.
- Choose the bibliographic style you want.
- Select Copy to Clipboard.
- Click OK and paste into your word processor.
Adding Citation Styles to Zotero
Zotero comes with the most common bibliographic styles, but you can download many more.
Using the Zotero Word Plugin
Zotero offers word processing plugins for Word and OpenOffice. The plugin adds a Zotero toolbar to your word processor so you can add citations as you write.
To Add a Citation
- Click "Add/Edit Citation" on the toolbar.
- Search for the reference you want to cite and press Enter.
- Zotero will add the citation at your cursor.
To Add a Bibliography
- At the end of your paper, click the "Insert Bibliography" button.
- Your bibliography will appear, and new citations will be added automatically.
- Change bibliographic styles with the "Document Preferences" button.
The toolbar looks different on different operating systems and versions of Word. Mousing over the toolbar will pop up each button's function.
ZoteroBib and Zotero are both free, open-source tools If you just need to create a one-off bibliography for a paper, ZoteroBib is the quickest and easiest way to do it.
ZoteroBib helps you build a bibliography instantly from any computer or device, without creating an account or installing any software.