Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
New York Times website & app
SMU Libraries provides access to the New York Times website and app to current students, faculty, and staff. Includes:
- Unlimited access to NYTimes.com, podcasts, newsletters, multimedia, and live events
- Access to the NYT app
- Spanish and Chinese translations
- Access to archived articles between 1851-2002 (5 pdf downloads per day per user)
SMU's subscription is restricted to current SMU students, faculty, and staff and requires a one-time registration. You will use your SMU email address (@smu.edu format only) to register.
If you already have a paid New York Times subscription for basic digital access, you will need to cancel your account first before you can register your email.
- Access the New York Times with the Activation link.
- Type and select "Southern Methodist University” in the box.
- Follow the instructions based on whether you are on-campus or off-campus.
Access Walkthrough Video
Provides step-by-step video for activating your academic pass, mobile phone app and newsletter content.
New York Times in print & databases
If you are using The New York Times for research, we recommend accessing articles through our databases for better search functionality.