Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Advanced Google Search Strategies
Exclude a Word
Use the minus sign ("-") before a keyword to eliminate results that include that word. For example:
- salsa recipes -tomato would return salsa recipes without tomatoes.
Search Within a Single Site or Domain
Search for "site:URL keyword." For example:
- site:.edu biology will only return results for the keyword biology that appear on webpages that end in .edu.
- site:www.smu.edu football would only return webpages within the SMU site that mention football.
Google Scholar, PubMed, and other websites can connect you to a lot of scholarly content. Google Scholar in particular is bigger than any single library database.
However, many articles found via these websites will ask you to pay for full-text access. Don’t pay!
Instead, use a browser tool called LibKey Nomad to easily link to our subscriptions through SMU Libraries. View directions below.
Installing LibKey Nomad
- Download the extension for your internet browser: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Brave, or Vivaldi.
- Select "Southern Methodist University" as your organization.
Alternate Search Engines
If you are not happy with the results Google is giving you, you have other options. Consider some of these alternative search tools: