Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Professor Gizem Arslan
- GERM 4330:
- Nineteenth-century stories
Whenever you are searching for resources ask yourself:
- What am I looking for?
- Background information, general overview, very specific or specialized information/analysis ?
- Remember: The same information you use to cite a resource is the same information you can use to help asses a resource.
- Where should I look for this information?
- Search engine looking at open web, library catalog, general database, specialized database?
- Should I use the Simple/Basic search or the Advanced search option?
- Suggestion: If you are using a database heavily, use advanced search, and look in the help section for suggestions on how to construct your search.
- How am I searching?
- Natural language search using key words, or subject term search,or Boolean search (AND, OR, NOT)?
- What language do i want my resources to be in?
- Some databases have language options/filters
Gathering Background Information
As you get started, you can get ideas from class discussions or readings.
If it is a topic you are just getting started with, look for background Information in reference resources.
Reference resources allow you to:
- Gain familiarity with the topic
- Identify more specific aspects of the topic on which to focus
- Provide context and identify differing perspectives
- Identify experts related to the topic
Reference Universe includes index terms and article titles to both electronic and print reference works.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
Gale Virtual Reference Library is a database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. Encyclopedias and specialized reference resources in: Arts, Biography, History, Information and Publishing, Law, Literature, Medicine, Multicultural.
Cambridge Companions Complete Collection
Comprised of the Cambridge Companions in Literature and Classics, the Cambridge Companions in Philosophy, Religion and Culture and the Companions in Music.
Humanities Research Librarian