Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- HIST 3377-001 (Spring 2020)
- History of South Africa
- Dr. Jill E. Kelly
Library Session: 3/9/2020
Reference Works on South African History
- As you get started, you can get ideas from class discussions or readings.
- (You can also look at the bibliographies of class readings, and search for those items if they sound relevant).
- If it is a topic you are just getting started with, look for background Information in reference resources.
- Reference resources allow you to:
- Gain familiarity with the topic
- Identify more specific aspects of the topic on which to focus
- Provide context and identify differing perspectives
- Identify experts related to the topic
New Encyclopedia of Africa
Addresses the entire history of African cultures from the pharaohs and the ancient civilizations of the south through the colonial era to the emergence of 53 independent countries, some of them newly emergent in world commerce and others deep in conflict. Covers issues facing the continent such as global development, the AIDS crisis, and international terrorism.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
Gale Virtual Reference Library is a database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. Encyclopedias and specialized reference resources in: Arts, Biography, History, Information and Publishing, Law, Literature, Medicine, Multicultural.
Reference Universe includes index terms and article titles to both electronic and print reference works.
Humanities Research Librarian