Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
There is no ethnography section in the library, so you will have to use a few search techniques to find them.
- Add the phrase social life and customs to the name of an ethnic group. Ethnographies often fall under the subject heading "Social Life and Customs."
- Navajo Indians social life and customs (Not all titles under this subject heading are ethnographies. You will need to verify)
- Search the name of the ethnic group and one of these keywords: kinship, religion, rites and ceremonies. may be helpful. (Example: Cherokee religion)
- Use an asterisk (*) to search for variations of a word:
- Navajo ethno* (searches for ethnography, ethnographic, ethnology, etc.)
- Navajo religi* (searches for religion, religious, etc.)
- Navajo rit* (searches for rituals, rites, etc.)
Google Books searches full text, so you can try searching with your topic keywords and add either ethnography or "ethnographic study" to find your terms in the book description, introduction, or text. Click "Get Print Book," then "Find in a Library" to determine if we have it.
Databases with Ethnographies
Full-text access to books and journals published by Johns Hopkins Press. You will need to evaluate to determine if the book you are interested in is an ethnography.
Full-text access to books and journals, many of which are ethnographies. You will need to examine each book you choose to determine if it is an ethnography.
The term Ethnography is a subject heading in the database Anthropology Plus, so you can use it in combination with your cultural group or other topic keywords to identify ethnographies. This database does not include individual, book-length ethnographies.
eHRAF World Cultures
Includes many full-text ethnographies. To find an ethnography on a particular culture, select the Browse Cultures tab and choose a culture by the A-Z Index, by Region, or by Country. The Collection Documents will list the ethnographies for the group, which may be books or journal articles. Click on the title to get publication information. Search the title in our library to determine if we have it.
Social Sciences Librarian