The SMU-in-Taos campus is situated on the site of a pre-Civil War United States Army post, known then as Cantonment Burgwin, which was built in 1852. The post was abandoned in 1860 and fell to ruin. In 1956, work began to excavate and reconstruct the cantonment. The 1957 reconstructed Fort Burgwin included a room designated “the library” within the main compound. In 2004 a state-of-the-art computer facility and library, the Fred Wendorf Information Commons, was constructed.
The purpose of the library and the librarians at SMU in Taos is to support faculty and student research needs of each session's curriculum, and to utilizing the library space to the needs of the session.